Story by Robbie Clark | Photos by Emily Moseley
Lots of chefs have found Bourbon to be a versatile ingredient no matter what they are preparing, with pies being no exception. As baked pastries rule the dessert tray through fall during the holiday season, we asked Executive Chef Brian Surbaugh and Pastry Chef Becca Schmutte of Table 310 and its sister restaurant National Provisions in Lexington, Kentucky, to whip up some pie recipes using a Bourbon that paired well with the fillings.
Pie Shell Dough (yields two 9-inch pie crusts)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup shortening
- 1 cup buttermilk ( ½ cup whole milk, ½ cup heavy cream, 2 tbsp. lemon juice)
- 1 egg
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in large bowl.
- Mix in the shortening and egg by hand into flour mixture until it resembles pea sized crumbs.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until the dough just comes together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap. Cool for at least one hour before use.
Bourbon Holiday Pie Recipes